Builders in London

Guide To Becoming A Builder In London

If you want to work as a builder in London, you need to complete certain qualifications first. There are two common routes that you can take for your studies and they are the NVQ or an apprenticeship. However, before you choose the route to take, you need to consider what exactly you want to study.

Choosing What To Study in London

Becoming builders in London is not as simple as it might seem because of the different areas of construction that you can work in. Are you looking to become a bricklayer, a plasterer or work with masonry? All of these areas will require certain skills and need different courses to be taken. You can take any course you want, but if you want to specialise you need to know this from the start.

The Builders Apprenticeship

An apprenticeship is a good route to take when you want to become a builder. During your apprenticeship, you will shadow a master builder and learn everything that you need to. One of the issues with the apprenticeship is that it is generally for younger people and older individuals looking to change career might have a harder time getting one.

London Builder

At the start of your apprenticeship, you will mostly watch what the builders are doing. As you show understanding of the principles of the work, you will start to do the work under supervision. One of the benefits of an apprenticeship is the fact that it is paid. This allows you to earn an income while you learn your new trade.

The length of the apprenticeship will vary and you will need to complete an assessment at the end to become a qualified builder. It is important to note that your apprenticeship could be limited depending on what you want to study. If you want to apprentice with a plasterer, you are only going to be learning about this aspect of building.


The NVQ is the other common route that you can take to become a builder. The first few levels will focus on class-based learning along with controlled practical learning. As you progress, you will need to get work placements to obtain the practical skills you need. Your course provider will generally be able to help you get a placement.

If you are working as an apprentice, you can also get your NVQ. You can request an assessment on your job site. Generally, you will need to have 3 years of experience to get the lower levels of the NVQ through experience from your apprenticeship.

There are no set time limits on how long it will take to get your NVQ. This first 3 levels that you need can each take a year to complete. The higher levels will take longer as you require more in-depth knowledge of the field. An NVQ is the recommended route because your CSCS card may require this qualification and you need this card to be hired.

To become a builder, you can either complete an apprenticeship or an NVQ. The NVQ is a good route to choose and can be obtained based on the experience you have from an apprenticeship.